What Documents Should I Have in My Estate Plan That will Help Me Plan for Long-Term Care?


Speaker 1: Probably the most important document is your durable power of attorney, and that's because a properly drafted power of attorney is going to have the language that legal counsel at Department of Children and Families is looking for, to allow your agent to sign documents that we use to shield your assets for Medicaid planning.
You're also going to need a healthcare surrogate document. Should you be able to make your own healthcare decisions, you want to make sure that someone you pick, that you trust, is going to make those decisions for you. You'd either have a will or revocable trust, also known as a living trust, and whether you have one or the other depends upon the nature of your assets and where they're located.